Emergency Management Leaders Urge Generator Safety

cafe-ZocaloBanner
Emergency Management Leaders Urge Generator Safety
HOUSTON – As the City of Houston continues to recover from the recent storm and experiences ongoing power outages, the Office of Emergency Management (OEM) is issuing an urgent warning about the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can be fatal if inhaled.

Important Safety Information:

  • Use Generators Safely: Only use generators outdoors, at least 20 feet away from windows, doors, and vents. Never operate a generator inside a home, garage, or any enclosed space.
  • Avoid Improvised Heating: Do not use charcoal grills, camp stoves, or gas ovens to heat your home. These devices can produce dangerous levels of CO.
  • Check CO Detectors: Ensure that your carbon monoxide detectors are functioning properly. If you do not have a CO detector, it is crucial to install one as soon as possible.
  • Recognize CO Poisoning Symptoms: Symptoms include headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion.

What to Do If You Suspect CO Poisoning:

  1. Move to Fresh Air Immediately: If you or someone else shows symptoms of CO poisoning, move to an open area with fresh air right away.
  2. Call 911: Seek emergency medical attention immediately. Explain that you suspect CO poisoning.
  3. Do Not Re-enter the Premises: Do not go back inside the affected area until emergency services have declared it safe.

“We understand the challenges residents are facing during this difficult time, and safety must remain a top priority,” said Chief Samuel Peña, Houston Fire Department. “Carbon monoxide poisoning is entirely preventable with the proper precautions and swift actions if exposure is suspected.”

For more information and updates, please visit the Houston Office of Emergency Management website at www.houstonoem.org/